Financial Support

Financial Support

At Winstanley we offer a range of bursaries to students to support their studies at college. You can apply at any time throughout the year depending on your circumstances.

Please apply online with the following link:


16-19 Winstanley College Bursary Fund

The Student Bursary is money that has been allocated to College by the Government to assist 16-19 year old students who face financial difficulties to continue in full time education. The Bursary fund is categorised as follows:-

A: Guaranteed Bursary

You are entitled to a guaranteed bursary of at least £1,200 per year if you are:- a young person in care, or a care leaver, or a young person in direct receipt of income support in your own right, or a disabled student in receipt of employment support plus personal independence payment allowance. Evidence will need to be provided

B: Discretionary Bursary

If your household income is less than £25,000 you may be eligible for a weekly bursary payment of £10 over 38 weeks, or you may be issued with a transport pass if you use our private transport to travel to college. Proof of your household income is required.

If your household income is below £16,190 or you are in receipt of benefits you may be entitled to a bursary and also free college meals.  You will need to provide proof of household income or benefits.

Please also apply if your household income is below £30,000.   We will review your application once we have helped all households <£25,000 to see if we are able to help you too. 

Up Holland Grammar School Educational Foundation

As a guideline, any student who lives in the Winstanley College catchment area and whose family relies on benefit or income is less than £25,000 per year would be eligible to apply.

Further enquiries can be made by contacting

Up Holland Grammar School Education Foundation

Free Transport

If students are eligible for the bursary fund and also have a need to purchase an annual private transport permit, then you will qualify for the full cost of the yearly permit which will be organised by Student Services. If you don’t require a private permit then a weekly allowance will be made via BACS.

These payments will be dependent on good attendance, satisfactory academic progress and it is subject to the number of applications received and the funds being available.

Free College Meals

To be eligible for free college meals you must be aged 16-19 and you or your parent or guardian must receive one of these benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC))
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after someone stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 pa

We have an electronic payment system so that students can discretely pay for their meal using their college ID badge. Please do apply if you think you qualify.

Your application will be assessed for both free college meals and the 16-19 bursary fund.

Care to Learn - Childcare

Care to Learn can help you with childcare costs while you study. You could receive up to £160 per week for each child. For more information and to make an application please visit

The college understands that circumstances may change throughout the year, any applications received after the deadline will be considered. Please note Bursary Funding is limited, when available funds have been allocated, the scheme will be closed to applications.

Additional Support Available for Students

Addition support available to students:

  • extra financial support available in extenuating circumstances
  • additional Bursary support for students requiring assistance towards curriculum essential trips
  • small emergency loans to pay for lost bus/meal money
  • loan equipment essential for completion of course work

Further enquiries can be made by contacting

Other Useful Links

Contact Finance

Contact Finance
  • *
  • *
  • *