Through Chemistry we are able to explain biological and physical phenomena that cannot be understood through one science alone.
Why study Chemistry?
Chemistry aims to encourage learners to:
- Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of the subject and how they relate to each other
- Develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
- Develop competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical, and problem-solving skills
- Develop their interest in and enthusiasm for the subject, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
- Understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
What will I study?
Content is split into six teaching modules:
- Development of practical skills in Chemistry
- Foundations in Chemistry
- Periodic table and energy
- Core organic Chemistry
- Physical chemistry and transition elements
- Organic Chemistry and analysis
Which exam board & how will I be assessed?
OCR, Specification A
Three written exams:
Periodic table, elements, and physical Chemistry, 2-hours 15 minutes.
Synthesis and analytical techniques, 2-hours 15 minutes.
Unified Chemistry, 1-hour 30 minutes.
Where could it take me?
The possibilities are endless! We have students who become doctors, lawyers, teachers, accountants, engineers, and more. By completing chemistry, you will be fully prepared for a very large number of degree opportunities. Typical courses include science-based examples such as chemistry, biochemistry, genetics and forensic science.
It is also a crucial and essential pre-requisite for medicine, dentistry and veterinary science.
Chemistry combines well with Biology, Maths, Physics, Physical Education, Geology, Psychology and Health Studies.
What support is available?
The course is run through extensive topic booklets which combine theory work, practice questions and exam past paper resources to ensure you are prepared for all the possible outcomes.
We have support session during lunchtimes
We have a huge bank of online resources which can take you through the whole course and develop your understanding, as well as independent learning skills
We have videos to take you through the whole course
We have worked Question by Question analysis of exams to help you develop the exam skills required
What extracurricular activity is available?
We have been on a number of international trips, most recently the science focused trip to Munich. There is the opportunity to be involved in the Chemistry Olympiad and the Cambridge chemistry competitions alongside participating in the Royal Society of Chemistry through their ‘ChemNet’ subscription. We regularly invite guest speakers and the team deliver masterclasses that cover a wide variety of topics.
Did you know?
The Chemistry department online ‘Moodle’ resources are the largest in the college.
We are rightly proud of the large number of students who take our subject and go on to study at Oxbridge universities and/or take challenging courses such as medicine, dentistry or veterinary science.